The anniversary of the first shooting


Can you believe it's been 25 years! Someone told me yesterday it was time to crack out the old Rescue 911 video.
But no, thank you. If I never see that again it will be fine with me.

But I did coincidentally just two days ago come across this picture of Bill's paramedics. 
Because these two people did their jobs very well back in 1989, 
Bill was able to live another 7 1/2 years. 
That was 7 1/2 years with his family. Watching them grow up a bit more.

These two, Lori and Steve, got married after Bill's incident. I also heard that Steve Braun, in the picture above,
passed away unfortunately just last April. I wish we had kept in touch but we didn't.

As I was reading my scriptures last night I was reminded again, how Heavenly Father is in the details
of our lives, even before we are aware what will take place. That day 25 years ago, Logan, (9 1/2 years
then) was home from school recovering from a fever. I always kept them home an extra day after their
fever went away just to be sure. But he was feeling fine and restless. I remembered Bill had banking
and other errands to do that day so we called him up to see if he wanted to take Logan along. He
always did, so he said he would pick him up at 3:00. 

3pm came and Bill hadn't arrived yet. I don't think he ever forgot anything he had going with the kids
so I just figured he was running late. Logan hovered around the front door and kept looking out the
window waiting for his Dad's arrival. Finally, I think it was about 4:30 I called his shop and to see why
he never came. Bill felt terrible. He said he completely forgot about picking up Logie! He had already
done all his banking and even said, "Oh man, I can't believe I forgot him!"

So we went on with our day.  Less than an hour later the gunfire started at Bill's shop.
He was hit multiple times. Not sure how many since some of his 17 wounds were exit wounds.
Logan could never have survived that. He was just a little boy. My little boy.
And how thankful we all are that he is still with us.

 McKay and Tyler with the actors who played the shooters. 
Plus Allison Grodner the Rescue 911 field coordinator.

McKay, Tyler, and Logan
The camera man, Dusty Powers along with Jeff Thompson 
who was the first police on the scene after Bill was shot.

We wanted to recognize the 25th anniversary of January 17th in some way….
and since I had 5 motherless-for-the-weekend-grandchildren (Amy and Erin are both out of town)
we took them out to eat last night.

And then I guess I felt sorry for them because I invited them back to dinner tonight. 
(Cam was busy in the other room.)
 Bill has missed so much. The grandkids are growing up with stories about their Grandpa.
I see a little of him in all of them.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just can hardly believe all that you've been through, Jill. And Bill must have been tough to survive all those bullet wounds! And thank GOD Logan wasn't with him that day!
darlene

Richard said...

For one who doesn't stray often or very far from home, you've sure lived a full and interesting life!

Grandmotherfairy said...

I read this with a lump in my throat…you are an amazing woman of faith…thank you for your example!!!

Rebecca said...

So wait.......I am confused. There were two shootings? And there was a movie made of it?
What horrific times you have been through!

Grandma Honey said...

Oh sorry Rebecca…I guess I just assume everyone knows. This was before we knew each other. Back in 1989 he was shot, too. I don't usually talk about it but the 25 year mark sort of hit me. And no, there wasn't a movie about it. Remember that old TV program Rescue 911? We were on that. Bill played himself.

Karen Mortensen said...

Wow. I can't believe it has been that long. I didn't know that part about Logan. Someone was watching out that day.

Anonymous said...

That was such a blessing for Bill to forget about Logan on that day! Your life has been filled with many little and big miracles!
Heidi

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...