My Mom knew this

Do you ever hear something and immediately you just know it's true and right and good? 

That's how it was last Sunday when our bishop said in the midst of his talk to us…..

“...Perhaps raising our children should be our hobby. 
Perhaps that's where we should spend our time….Time 
does not roll back...”


Made me think of my Mom. Made me think of what my sister had written on her grave. 
It's what she lived by. It's what her life was all about:




Mom cut this out and brought it over to me one day:

She loved her pinking shears!
Don't know why, but she kept them handy, always in a drawer near by, 
ready to whack off whatever she wanted to keep.

7 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Love this post. The headstone is beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen it.

Grandmotherfairy said...

Dear Grandma Honey...thank you for last few posts...David and I were visiting the Atwater Wards on our Ward Conference and I so enjoyed hearing what we missed. I hope it is OK if I use the quote by Bishop in my own blog...see you at church!

Scrapally said...

beautiful. Wise words...thanks for sharing. Love the headstone.

Grandma Honey said...

Absolutely, Grandmotherfairy!

grandmapeg said...

What a beautiful saying and so true! And the headstone is very nice. I also keep my pinking shears handy,in the top drawer in the kitchen :-) I can't believe it's almost eight years since she passed away.

Susan Anderson said...

I love it when a headstone really gives you a sense of who the person was. And pinking shears remind me of my own grandma.

=)

Nate and Julie said...

I remember the pinking shears! I love that quote from your bishop. It reminds me of a quote from General Conference a couple of years ago that I remind myself of often. Something along the lines of "Raising children isn't something to do if we have the time. It's what God gave us time for." or something like that. Something I often need reminding of.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...