If I could talk to her mom.....

Hailey's mom has been gone for 8 years now.

She misses her in a way only those growing up without their Mom would understand.

It pains the rest of us just thinking about it.

If I could talk to Robin I would tell her what I observe about her daughter. 

This is what I would say....

Today she wanted to make sure we got some fresh flowers to take to your grave. 

After placing the yellow tulips right by your head stone, 
she took one little one out, and placed it on top.

I didn't ask her, but I think that little tulip might represent Hailey close to her Mom


She placed it ever so gently.
And when the wind blew it off, she put it right back up there again.


Then she took a rag and some water and gently scrubbed your grave clean.

Elora did the spraying of water...


and Hailey did the gentle cleaning.


Then I heard Hailey say to Elora, "We need to go find other graves that need help."

I ask you, where does Hailey learn to take care of other graves?
It's not part of any conversation I've ever heard, any where.

But she does this every time she comes with me.


She cleaned as many as she could in the 45 minutes we were there.



And over lunch? 
She knew my phone will no longer allow pictures so she asked me for it, 
and deleted 500 pictures for me.

Elora and Hailey have a very special bond.

After we finished eating and we were all headed out the door Hailey said, 
"I think we are suppose to clean our table up and put the baskets and garbage away."
So we went back to our table and did just that.



Tomorrow the girls will be making dinner in my kitchen.

The menu they planned is going to be:
chicken pot pie
salad
banana nut bread

Thinking of the chicken pot pie, I had to ask, "Hailey are you no longer a vegetarian?" 
She said, "I still am!"

"Then why don't you think of something else to make for dinner....something you can eat too."

That's when she said, "It's okay. I really want to try this chicken pot pie recipe. 
And I love cooking so much that I love it more than eating!"

Definitely her mother's daughter

I can't help but think Robin is parenting from the other side. 
In ways we can't see, and don't know about...yet. 

5 comments:

Scrapally said...

That is so sweet and just touched my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

So very touching. Brought tears to my eyes. What a sweetheart!
darlene

Susan Anderson said...

What a lovely girl she is…and I'm so glad she has such a close friend and relative in Elora.

=)

Karen Mortensen said...

What a very sweet and heartwarming story.

Richard said...

So glad the village is doing its job so well...thank you for taking such a strong personal interest in Hailey!!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...